Sunday, October 28, 2012

It's Official! I ran 13.1!!!

It's OFFICIAL!  I ran a half marathon for real!  Ever since the Corridor Classic, I just couldn't look past the fact that the course was short by almost a half mile.  That half mile counts!  So, I took that as one long run and part of my training.   On a whim, I signed up for another one.  It was called the Halloween Half Marathon.  
 
It was a cold, rainy, windy start to the day.  Temps were in 40s at the starting line with a slight drizzle.  Winds were at 16 miles per hour.  I have no idea what is in store.  I have never run in weather like this.  I trained mostly in the summer so I had no idea what to wear.  I asked a running friend of mine and she suggested, tights, a long sleeve shirt, a running jacket, and $1 gloves.  Well, I am pretty new to running so I didn't have half the stuff.   I did have long running tights and the dollar gloves.  I just wore an old sweatshirt with a tech tee underneath.  It worked out great.   I took the gloves off at about mile 5 and pulled up my sweatshirt sleeves when I got warmer and it was just right.   I never got too hot.  The wind made sure of that.  Once I actually got warmed up, I honestly thought  the weather was great for running.  Right after the gun went off the drizzle pretty much stopped too. 
 
Miles 0-3 were challenging this time around.   It was hard for me to get in my groove and my legs were still getting used to the cold.  
Miles 3-8 were great!  I felt awesome!  Legs and feet felt good.  Lungs good.   Mind and emotional state....Good!
Mile 9-12....SUCKED! So many hills!   UP and DOWN.....The down was awesome, but going back up was very challenging and took a lot out of me.   Went up two hills about 50 ft high......plus a few more hills not as high.
Mile 13 was also challenging.....my body was tired!  I was ready to be done!!!  But in that last mile, I passed two  more racers! 
 
 
 
 

a pre race pic


 In line to start racing
 
That lady behind me was a speed walker.  Guess what?  She passed me and stayed ahead of me the whole time! 
 
 

 beautiful autumn scenery to run in
 
 
 See that lady in the orange shirt?  This was mile 5 ish...
 
 
 Whoop whoop!
The orange lady shirt is BEHIND me now! 
And stayed behind me the whole race! 
 
 
 High Five Allie!  My daughter supporting me!!!
 
Ervin and Allie came out to support me.  It really made a difference.  Whenever I saw them on the course cheering me on I ran as hard and long as I could.   They kept me going!  They were at several spots on the course.  After they cheered me on and I passed them, they drove to another spot ahead.  I never knew where they would be. 
 
 
 Mile 7ish
 
 
 Mile 11ish
 
 
Finish Line Baby!!!
 
 
 
STATS:
 
Finished in 2 hours 41 minutes! 
 
Chip Time: 2:41:19
 
12:20 pace
 
4 out of 5 in female age group
 
108 out of 113 racers
 
This was a pretty small race! 
 
I am super proud of myself.  I beat my first race time!  AND this race was longer!!!!  and HILLY!
 
Can I get a WHOOP WHOOP!!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment